Grace-Full Landing

May 4, 2019

Maybe the Easter story won’t let loose of me because we’re still studying Matthew in Community Bible Study.

It’s possible.

Whatever the reason, the stories within The Story grip me.

While the disciples hid, a couple of courageous women, headed to the tomb, only to discover a gaping hole and an angel announcing, ” Jesus isn’t here. He’s alive. Go tell the disciples, Peter especially.”

So they did.

Imagine.

Peter singled out from the pack. Public deny-er #1. Hasn’t slept a wink with roosters crowing in his ears.

Peter.

Me.

You.

So in need of forgiveness, another shot at living out our promises to God and others.

Maybe that’s what’s so compelling about Peter’s story. He muddles and meddles, is faithful and faithless. He’s cock sure of his inner strength until life happens and some chicken reminds him he’s not as tough as he thought he was.

I get it, Peter. If I took one of those kits to check ancestry, I’m pretty sure we’re kin.

In Philip Yancy’s devotional, Grace Notes, he writes, “We are all desperate, and that is, in fact, the only state appropriate to a human being who wants to know God. Having fallen from the absolute Ideal, we have nowhere to land but in the safety net of absolute grace.” (p.150)

And that’s where Simon Peter, so sure he’s irrevocably fallen from grace, finds he’s landed, “in the safety net of absolute grace.”

For all of us with cock-a-doodle-doos and don’ts of our failures ringing in our ears, Peter’s story offers hope for healing, forgiveness, reconciliation, mercy and another chance.

Grace waits, not with finger wagging, but net spread deep and wide.

2 people HEART this story

• Reply Shirley Westrate May 4, 2019 at 2:03 pm

Amen!

• Reply Randall Mathews May 4, 2019 at 3:07 pm

Thank you, dear Jan, for your excellent reminder that grace is greater than all our sin!! PTL, Hallelujah and Amen. What else can I say?

• Reply wendy lane May 5, 2019 at 1:42 pm

I love Peter too. So good Jan – thank you!! <3

• Reply Dan Ru May 5, 2019 at 3:28 pm

Our pastor preached this morning on this passage in John when Jesus fixes breakfast for the fishermen and she pointed out that our Lord did not accuse Peter or ask why did you deny me. He hospitably cooked Peter’s breakfast over a charcoal fire. The only other mention in John about a charcoal fire is that Peter warmed himself over one as he denied his Lord three times. ThenJesus invited Peter to affirm his love for him three times. What a loving and graceful reconciliation. Thanks Jan for reminding us of “the safety net of absolute grace.”

• Reply Radina Welton May 5, 2019 at 5:42 pm

Oh wow! This really floored me as this week as I spent a couple nights sleepless, thoughts stuck in the familiar rut of past mistakes and failures. Thank you for reminding us once again to jump into the net of abundant grace and relax in the “joy that cometh in the morning”.

• Reply Shirley May 5, 2019 at 6:29 pm

Amen! I just love Peter!!

• Reply Jeannene Webster May 6, 2019 at 1:07 pm

Such a far cry from our human counterparts who seem to live to throw our many failures in our faces…

Grace: A small word with a wealth of healing.

I love reading your insights. And I am more than certain that your family who has gone before you are more than proud of the way you are carrying the torch they passed… Your wisdom shines.

I finally obtained a copy of “The Hungry Heart,” and decided to jump right in, starting with May, and was delighted that it was the story of the woman of Shunem. We live in a small cottage on the lake, and soon we will be starting to get guests for the summer. Sometimes we have up to 14, and it can be exhausting and a bit overwhelming. I needed her example to keep in mind that when I serve others with a servant’s heart, I am serving the Lord. Thank you for the timely reminder! <3

• Reply Dale May 6, 2019 at 3:18 pm

Thanks Jan,

I wonderful reminder and image of grace. Do you think Peter has mellowed by this time? I sort of would like to meet the old Peter and remind myself Jesus loved him and called him before He refined him.

Blessings, Dale