One Way to Grow Older

April 26, 2019

Chad leaned over during the hymn and whispered in my better ear, “Mom, it’s time you start singing melody. You’re starting to sound like Dad.”

What?!

Moi?

Someday I’m gonna buy him a baseball cap I saw on a friend in California. It read,”MAMA TRIED.”

Maggie and I shared the hymnal. I’d sung alto for as long as I could remember. She, a staunch carrier of the soprano part, seemed to struggle that morning. I wondered why as I belted out my part, until my son solved the puzzle with his news flash.

“Sounding like Dad” was not a complement. We’d made fun of Jud’s singing forever, now it was my turn to take the hit. Wishing he was beside me so we could be slightly off-kilter together.

Aging comes with conditions. Maybe this condition called “hearing loss” meant I was just slightly off, turning harmony into something debatable.

Later I cornered Lily, eldest and highly loyal Grand, and said, “It’s tough growing older.”

Her response?

‘You’ve always been old.”

Then she, a lot like her Uncle, laughed, as we’d done in church, adding,”To grandchildren, grandparents are old. You’ve always been old, Momo.” Adding quickly, “In a good way.”

“Old in a good way.”

I’ll take it.

Along with the melody and this verse, part of my prayer for as long as I can remember.

“Now that I am old and gray, do not abandon me, O God. Let me proclaim your power to this new generation, your mighty miracles to all who come after me.” (Psalm 71:18 NLT)

Maybe I should wear a hat: SON TRIED.

2 people HEART this story

• Reply Mary Henton April 26, 2019 at 12:21 pm

True and comforting words.

• Reply Dale April 26, 2019 at 12:34 pm

My staff gave me 23Me as a “gift.” Genetically, I did fine with one exception: this person cannot carry a tune. I actually liked the analysis, since now I had a scientific explanation for what previously was considered a personal weakness.

Blessings, Dale

• Reply Randall Mathews April 26, 2019 at 12:52 pm

Haddon Robinson always said that “growing old was not for sissies.” Join the club, Jan!! So glad that you and Alice can connect while she is in the Boston area. If Maggie and Kate make it to Christ Church on Mother’s Day, I want them to give her a big hug for me.

• Reply Jeannene Webster April 27, 2019 at 9:45 am

I “make a noise,” but I am not sure even the Lord would characterize it as “joyful!” I love and appreciate hearing others sing, love music, but so far my own musical talents seem to be limited to wheezing during asthma flares, lol!

• Reply wendy lane April 27, 2019 at 10:58 am

Hahahaha! “Old in a good way” – it sure beats the alternatives! <3

• Reply www.toshibaac.in April 27, 2019 at 11:54 am

Hey there, You’ve done an incredible job. I will
    definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends.
    I’m confident they’ll be benefited from this site.

• Reply Dr. Patrick McCary April 27, 2019 at 12:34 pm

Jan, Love your posts! Your latest post on aging stimulated a memory of my grandmother, Carrie Dayton. Carrie lived to be 102. She had a great sense of humor and had advice on how to live to be 100. Here is that advice: ” Live to be 99 and then be real carful.” I think it was her sense of humor that helped her longevity. You, Jan, have that gift of humor and you blogs are nuggets of uplifting inspiration. Pat

• Share Your Thoughts